Friday, March 03, 2017

The Inquisition: 084.Svarta Stugan

1. How did you came up with the name of the band?

Late one night I was watching the last episode of season 2, Twin Peaks. In those last episodes of the series, Agent Cooper visits “the black lodge”. Those episodes was the thing that inspired me to ask the others in the band if they wanted to do some noise-music together. And then I think it was the drummer Emanuel that came up with the name “Svarta Stugan”, which is “black lodge” translated into Swedish.

2. How did you came up with the idea of a video game instead of a video clip and how difficult was to materialize it?

I was thinking about how a music video would look and what it should be about. And making a music video simply didn’t “feel” like a fun thing to do. Every band around is doing it and I find myself rarely watching more than a minute of each music video that comes to my attention. And then I saw in my facebook feed that a friend of mine was applying for a game development school. And then I thought, why don’t we make a game instead of a video.Then I started to ask around and came in touch with Stefan (who did develop the game) through a friend of mine.And then me and Stefan had like one Skype meeting per week for about eight months. I had the idea of making a shooter, since I have always loved “Gradius” and “R-type” and other retro nintendo shooters. But Stefan and I wanted the game to reflect the atmosphere in the music so the game became black and white. Stefan has really put some hard work into this.

3. Do you have a standard procedure of creating a song? Do you just jam around or is there a main riff and the track is build up on it?

Usually I compose melody, harmony and basic groove and make these super poor demos of the song. And then we refine the song in rehearsal, live and when we record it. So it is a collective arrangement of all the songs. And sometimes we just make some noise together.

4. What are your influences and what kind of music do you hear when you are at home?

Right now I’m anticipating the new Timber Timbre record. And I am also keeping an ear out for the new Colin Stetson band “Ex Eye”, which sounds promising.Influences are early progressive 70’s music. Brian Eno in the 70’s. And bands from the 90’s and early 2000’s such as Radiohead and God Speed You! Black Emperor.

5. Which is the one album you can't live without?

It changes from day to day but probably “Another Green World” - Eno.

6. What's the first record you've ever bought?

I think Alice Cooper “Thrash” on cassette.

7. Name a band that you would like to share the stage or tour with?

Tricky question. I would like to work with Mike Patton or Merzbow.

8. Did the internet and specially the blogs helped to spread your music around the world? Name a place (country) that you were surprised to know your music has reached to?

Yes it has. We haven’t established a fan base there or something like that but it is surprising when you find that someone from South Korea is listening to our music.It has helped us in getting gigs in Germany and bringing a few people to the shows. So the internet has been good to us.

9. Do you support the idea of bandcamp where fans can decide the price or services like Spotify?

Well, it seems that everyone has to decide what will work for them but bandcamp is a good thing and a good way to support your favourite struggling band. Spotify and other streaming services generate a very small amount of money for the bands and that is a problem.

10. Where do you see yourselves in 10 years?

Making music in some way. However, I’m into the idea that often, it is good for a music band to quit making music sooner than later. An example is the band Genesis. They made 5 great albums in the early 70’s. And then they made shit, according to me. Brian Eno made 5-6  great albums and then suddenly they didn’t have the same nerve. So probably we will only make like four albums. So in ten years, perhaps it is time to make something different. I would love it if Svarta Stugan left a legacy with four great albums and then no more.

11. Is the artwork of an album important nowadays in the digital era?

Probably more important than ever. It is a way to make your band visible and stand out. I think that there are also more possibilities with artwork and a digital release. You could have it in any size and so on. I think it is important to be brave and do strange and not normal things. Don’t lock yourself up in a cage with ideas of what you should do and that you should do it like it has always been done.

12. What is you favorite album cover?

Hard to say. Perhaps “Hidden Persuaders” with the album art for the record “Elegies and Curses”.

13. It seems that a lot of people are turning on vinyl again. Why do you think that is and which is your preferable media format?

I think it is because you want something that looks good and that you can look at while listening. Some physical thing that is related to the music. I like vinyl and cassettes. We made a cassette-box which looked really nice. If someone wants one, check with “Hackebeil Records” or “Epileptic Media”.

14. What's the most vivid story or moment as a band?

We are a very kind band with very little rock’n’ roll lifestyle. I would say that every live show is something made with blood and sweat. So that’s where you will see our most vivid moments.

More info:
facebook
bandcamp
SoundCloud

0 Engineers:

Also check

 
;